Open Days at the Priory Centre
Each year we open our doors as part of the National Heritage Open Days scheme, inviting local residents and visitors to look around the former St Nicholas Priory, originally a Benedictine monastery founded in 1101.
Next Open Day: Sat 14th Sept 2019, 12.00 – 4.00pm
Our historic building was founded in the 12th Century by Hugh de Losinga, the first Bishop of Norwich. The Benedictine order of monks used to serve the Parish Church of St Nicholas (now the Minster).
Many distinguished visitors were welcomed at the Priory, including Richard II and Mary Tudor (daughter of Henry VII). Like most monastic houses, the Priory closed in 1536 with the Dissolution of the Monasteries. The buildings went into decline thereafter, until 1853 when it was restored and opened as the St Nicholas Priory School, where it continued until 1999.
Keep in touch through our Facebook group or contact Sue or Neil at the Priory Centre reception:
T: 01493 743000 E: email@example.com